This course is designed for those who are required to operate a bridge or gantry crane as part of their role.
This course is delivered by experienced trainers and assessed by SafeWork NSW approved assessors.
This licence class encompasses bridge and gantry cranes that are controlled from a permanent cabin or control station or remotely controlled with more than three powered operations. Powered operations include:
– rotating attachment – this also includes the application of load estimation and slinging techniques to move a load.
A bridge crane comprises a bridge beam mounted at each end, to an end carriage, capable of traveling along elevated runways and having one or more hoisting mechanisms arranged to traverse across the bridge.
A gantry crane comprises a bridge beam, supported at each end by legs mounted on end carriages, capable of traveling on supporting surfaces or deck levels, whether fixed or not, including a crab with one or more hoisting units arranged to travel across the bridge.
A Bridge and Gantry Crane HRW Licence is required to operate a bridge or gantry crane that is:
– Controlled from a permanent cabin or control station on the crane, or
– Remotely controlled with more than three powered operations, for example:
– A single hoist with four powered operations e.g. traversing, travelling, hoisting and rotating, and
– multiple hoists with four or more powered operations e.g. two non-synchronised hoists would typically have at least five powered operations – traversing by two, hoisting by two and travelling.
A Dogging High Risk Work Licence or one of the three rigging HRW licences is required by:
– Any person other than a licensed bridge or gantry crane operator, who exercises judgement in the estimation of a load or selection of the slinging methods and lifting equipment when slinging a load on any bridge or gantry crane.
– Any person who directs any bridge or gantry crane operator in the movement of the load where the load is out of view of the crane operator.
The total duration for this course is 40 hours (5 days) as follows for both skilled and non-skilled operators.
The course duration is 40 hours (including 34 hours of training):
– 16 hours of supervised theory instruction
– 18 hours of supervised practical instruction (simulated workplace)
– 4 hours theory assessment (including calculations)
– 2 hours of practical assessment
This course is based on the High Risk Work (HRW) licence requirements.
Licence class (CB)
Statement of attainment – TLILIC0006 Licence to operate a bridge and gantry crane